The TECO Line Streetcar is a heritage streetcar
transit line in Tampa
, run by the Hillsborough Area Regional Transportation Authority
(HART), owned by the city of Tampa, and managed by Tampa Historic Streetcar, Inc. It connects Downtown
to the historic Ybor City
district. There is also an "In-Town" trolley-replica bus
system that connects Downtown, Channelside, and Harbour Island
The line opened on October 19, 2002, at long, and expanded to in 2010, with 11 stations.
The system is single-track with several passing sidings, which mostly follows a reserved right-of-way
at a cost of 13.7 million per mile. Ten replica historic streetcars and one restored historic streetcar are used on the line. The replica cars themselves cost $745,000 each. A $2.7 million grant from the Florida Department of Transportation
awarded in 2018 allowed HART to eliminate fares and increase frequency on the line, causing a significant increase in ridership.
First streetcars in Tampa
The first streetcars in Tampa were operated by the Tampa Street Railway Company between downtown Tampa and Ybor City. The line started operation in 1885, using wood-burning steam engines. In 1892 the Tampa Street Railway Company merged with the Florida Electric Company to form the Tampa Street Railway and Power Company, and converted to electrically powered streetcars in 1893. Also in 1892, a rival company, the Tampa Suburban Company, was organized to compete with the Tampa Street Railway Company, but was blocked from operating by an injunction. A new company, The Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company was formed, and soon out-competed the Tampa Railway Company by lowering its fares. The Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company bought out the Tampa Street Railway Company in 1894. The company also acquired control of the Tampa and Palmetto Beach Rail Company, becoming the sole streetcar operator in Tampa. The Tampa Electric Company acquired control of the Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company in 1899.
The Tampa Electric Company acquired of streetcar track with the Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company in 1899. After acquiring the Tampa and Sulphur Springs Traction Company in 1913, Tampa Electric had almost of track, increasing to by 1926. That year the Tampa Electric system carried almost 24 million passengers. The streetcar system in Tampa was shut down after World War Two, with the last cars removed from service some time between 1946 and 1949.
Streetcars returned to Tampa in 2002, when the initial long
was opened. Its operating costs are financed through a special tax assessment (.33 per thousand) on businesses in the streetcar district and a streetcar endowment stemming from settlement money received in 2006 by the city for the demolition of the Harbor Island People Mover
In its first year of operation, the streetcar carried 420,000 riders, 20% more than projected. In 2005, 434,498 passengers used the streetcar. In 2011, streetcar ridership from October 2011 through May decreased by 8.3 percent to 265,148 with a total for the year of 358,737 riders. In 2015, the streetcar served 285,900 passengers.
A new extension,
costing $5.5 million, opened for revenue service on December 19, 2010. The extension runs north along Franklin Street to Whiting Street and the Fort Brooke parking garage,
connecting the Convention Center as well as the rest of the TECO Line to the downtown core.
From north to south, the stations are
*; the northern terminus of the line
*; formerly Tampa Bay Federal Credit Union
*; formerly The Tampa Tribune station
*Dick Greco Plaza
; former southern terminus until 2010, connection to Purple Line; signed as TRANSPORTATION PLAZA on rollsign
*; southern terminus, connection to HART bus routes 14 and 30, access to Fort Brooke parking garage.
The system originally had had eleven operating streetcars: nine modern replica double-truck Birney
cars, one replica open-bench "Breezer" (similar to J.G. Brill cars
built for Metropolitan Street Railway of New York), and one restored original Birney car. All except the original Birney were built by the Gomaco Trolley Company
in Ida Grove, Iowa. In 2020, the number of operating streetcars was reduced to ten as car #429 was in an accident that damaged it beyond repair.
The replica Birney cars have a welded steel body with cosmetic rivets added to make them look older. The cars are wheelchair-accessible, air-conditioned and have automated stop announcements. The seats are made of wood and are reversible for when the car changes direction. The cars are also equipped with on-board ticket dispensers; however, they do not provide change.
The original Birney #163 streetcar ran on the Tampa & Ybor City Street Railway between 1923 and 1946. It was found in 1991 in Sulphur Springs
, a neighborhood in Tampa, where it had been used as an apartment and later a storage shed. Volunteers worked more than 10,000 hours to restore the car to its former condition. It is Florida's only operational historic streetcar.
The agency that operates the streetcar is a non-profit.
On October 22, 2014, the ''Tampa Bay Times
'' published an editorial on the leverage a subsidy the Tampa Port Authority
gives to the streetcar system. However it also wrote that the system ''"is not dependent"'' on the subsidy. They also reported that the system has to pay almost half a million dollars in insurance to cover the risk of streetcars crossing an active freight rail line.
The single-ride adult fare was $2.50 prior to October 2018. Starting that month, fares were dropped
for a three year period due to a grant from the Florida Department of Transportation. As a result, ridership on the 2.7 mile line has skyrocketed, with almost three times as many riders in 2019 as in 2018.
The Florida Department of Revenue awarded $67 million for the streetcar expansion on December 8, 2020. The city hopes the updated and extended streetcar service will be up and running by the end of 2026. In addition to this, Plenary Americas US Holdings Inc has proposed partnering with the city to build a transit line primarily along Cypress Street - connecting Ybor City, Channelside, Downtown, Midtown, Westshore, and the airport. The new line may be called the CrossTampa Transit Connector with 16 stations and two major multipurpose hubs.
File:YborStreetcarDoNotEnterAug08.jpg|Streetcar in Ybor City
File:Streetcar interior, Tampa, Florida1.jpg|Wooden streetcar interior
File:TampaStreetcarsAug2008DowntownTurnBreezer.jpg|"Breezer" streetcar in downtown Tampa
File:TampaStreetcarsAug2008GrecoPlazaTicketMachine.jpg|Streetcar ticket machine
File:TampaStreetcarsAug2008BreezerDomeB.jpg|"Breezer" streetcar at Greco Plaza stop
File:Tecolinecars.jpg|Streetcars in the maintenance facility
*Light rail in the United States
*List of heritage railroads in the United States
*List of streetcar systems in the United States
*Royal Palm Railway Experience
*Streetcars in North America
*Transportation in Florida
TECO Line official siteTECO Streetcar at Tampa Rail Website
Category:2002 establishments in Florida
Category:Heritage streetcar systems
Category:Hillsborough Area Regional Transit
Category:Streetcars in Florida
Category:Railway lines opened in 2002
Category:Transportation in Tampa, Florida