HOME
TheInfoList



Selfridge Air National Guard Base or Selfridge ANGB is an
Air National Guard The Air National Guard (ANG), also known as the Air Guard, is a federal military reserve force of the United States Air Force, as well as the militia air force of each U.S. state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the ...
installation located in
Harrison Township, Michigan Harrison Charter Township is a charter township and a census-designated place (CDP) of Macomb County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2000 census, the population was 24,461. The 2008 Census Bureau Estimate places the population at 26,004 ...
, near
Mount Clemens Mt. Clemens Bath House, circa 1910 Mount Clemens is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 16,314 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Macomb County. History Mount Clemens was first surveyed in 1795 after the American Re ...
. Selfridge Field was one of thirty-two Air Service training camps established after the United States entry into
World War I World War I or the First World War, often abbreviated as WWI or WW1, was a global war originating in Europe that lasted from 28 July 1914 to 11 November 1918. Contemporaneously known as the Great War or "the war to end all wars", i ...
in April 1917.


Units and organizations

The host organization is the
127th Wing The Michigan Air National Guard (MI ANG) is the aerial militia of the State of Michigan, United States of America. It is, along with the Michigan Army National Guard, an element of the Michigan National Guard. The Michigan Air National Guard is al ...

127th Wing
(127 WG) of the
Michigan Air National Guard The Michigan Air National Guard (MI ANG) is the aerial militia of the State of Michigan, United States of America. It is, along with the Michigan Army National Guard, an element of the Michigan National Guard. The Michigan Air National Guard is al ...
, but a variety of
Air Force Reserve The Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) is a major command (MAJCOM) of the United States Air Force, with its headquarters at Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. It is the federal Air Reserve Component (ARC) of the U.S. Air Force, consisting of commissi ...

Air Force Reserve
, Navy Reserve,
Marine Corps Reserve The Marine Forces Reserve (MARFORRES or MFR), also known as the United States Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR) and the U.S. Marine Corps Forces Reserve, is the reserve force of the United States Marine Corps. It is the largest command, by assigned pe ...
,
Army Reserve A military reserve force is a military organization composed of citizen-soldiers of a country who combine a military role or career with a civilian career. They are not normally kept under arms and their main role is to be available to fight wh ...
,
Army National Guard The Army National Guard (ARNG), in conjunction with the Air National Guard, is an organized militia force and a federal military reserve force of the United States Army. They are simultaneously part of two different organizations: the Army Natio ...
and active duty
Coast Guard A coast guard or coastguard is a maritime security organization of a particular country. The term embraces wide range of responsibilities in different countries, from being a heavily armed military force with customs and security duties to be ...
units use the facility as well. In 1971, Selfridge ANGB became the largest and most complex joint Reserves Forces base in the United States, a position it held until surpassed by NAS JRB Fort Worth (former
Carswell AFB Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base (or NAS Fort Worth JRB) includes Carswell Field, a military airbase located west of the central business district of Fort Worth, in Tarrant County, Texas, United States. This military airfield is ...
) in the late 1990s. "U.S. Army Garrison-Selfridge serves the
Tank-automotive and Armaments Command The United States Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), and its subordinate Life Cycle Management Command (LCMC),
(TACOM) supporting tank construction in the Detroit area."
Civil Air Patrol The Civil Air Patrol (CAP) is a congressionally chartered, federally supported non-profit corporation that serves as the official civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force (USAF). CAP is a volunteer organization with an aviation-minded me ...
civilian organizations at Selfridge are th
176th Selfridge Composite Squadron
and the headquarters of the Michigan Wing. Selfridge is home to Headquarters and Service Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Marines and Marine Wing Support Group 47 (MWSG-47.)


Selfridge Military Air Museum

The on-base Selfridge Military Air Museum is operated by the Michigan Air Guard Historical Association, exhibits photos and artifacts of military aerospace history, and has an outdoor Air Park of over 30 aircraft.


History

Selfridge Air National Guard Base is named after 1st Lieutenant Thomas E. Selfridge. Selfridge was detailed for aeronautical duty in April 1908 after being an assistant to Professor Alexander Graham Bell who was conducting aeronautical experiments in Nova Scotia. He was killed on 17 September 1908 while flying as a passenger with Orville Wright at Fort Myer, Virginia. Selfridge was the first person to be killed in a crash of a powered aircraft.


World War I

The origins of Selfridge Air National Guard Base date to 1916 when a large tract of land on Lake Saint Clair (North America), Lake St. Clair, Michigan, was acquired by the Packard Motor Car Company at the urging of Packard president Henry B. Joy, who took a great interest in aviation and led the company to begin developing aircraft engines for use in aircraft engaged in World War I combat in Europe. In the spring of 1917, lobbying began in Washington to locate a military airfield at the site of the Joy Aviation Field on Lake St. Clair. The United States had just officially entered
World War I World War I or the First World War, often abbreviated as WWI or WW1, was a global war originating in Europe that lasted from 28 July 1914 to 11 November 1918. Contemporaneously known as the Great War or "the war to end all wars", i ...
on 7 April. Proponents of the site pointed out the advantages of the field's proximity to the auto capital of the nation and the availability of the lake for practice bombing.The Founding of Selfridge Field
/ref> In May 1917, it was announced that Joy Aviation Field would be included as a training Camp as part of the expansion of the Air Service, becoming one of only nine military airfields in the country at the time. The United States Army leased the of land, and construction commenced immediately to provide the necessary road and rail access to the site. Within a month, the newspaper was reporting that 1,000 men were at work at the field constructing hangars, barracks, supply depots, machine shops and a school building. On 9 July, the first training aircraft, a Curtiss JN-4D arrived at the new airfield, and the base was gearing up to train men in flying, bombing, radio and photography for the war effort. The first pilots were members of the 8th Aero Squadron, 8th and 9th Aero Squadrons, and Captain Byron Q. Jones was the first commander at Selfridge. Actual training of pilots began on 16 July 1917, three months after war was declared. Some of these students, a few of them from Mount Clemens area, were given a few flights and then, within two weeks, were whisked overseas for advanced training and to meet the enemy. During the summer of 1917, 72 men won aviator ratings and logged over 3,700 flying hours. From that time on, hundreds of young men passed through Selfridge Air Pilot School for the four weeks of training which qualified them for a commission. Then they were on their way as instructors to the front or to the other flying schools. being established throughout the country. Training units assigned to Selfridge Field were:Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the First World War, Volume 3, Part 3, Center of Military History, United States Army, 1949 (1988 Reprint) * Post Headquarters, Selfridge Field – October 1919 * 40th Aero Squadron, August 1917 : Re-designated as Squadron "A", July–November 1918 * 380th Aero Squadron, January 1918 : Re-designated as Squadron "B", July–November 1918 * Squadron "C", August–November 1918 * Squadron "D", August–November 1918 * Squadron "E", August–November 1918 * Flying School Detachment (Consolidation of Squadrons A-E), November 1918 – November 1919 Flying was considered impractical in Michigan during the winter months, so the student pilots were sent to Gerstner Field at Lake Charles, Louisiana, Lake Charles, Louisiana, and to Chapman Field (Florida), Chapman Field at Miami, Florida, and Selfridge was transformed into a mechanics school for the winter months. From this school, which lasted until the end of March 1918, 700 qualified mechanics were graduated. Six squadrons from Kelly Field, Texas, were sent to Selfridge for study in the shops. The training center suffered an early setback in March 1918, as the Clinton River flooded the entire site and all personnel were evacuated to schools and churches in nearby Mount Clemens. On 1 April 1, 1918 preparations got underway for the opening of a new gunnery school. Instructors were borrowed from the French, British and Canadian flying corps. By July 1918, Selfridge had reached its peak performance in gunnery training. Over 250 students were enrolled at one time, and on one occasion 52 planes were in the air over the field simultaneously. Classes were so filled that 150 Lewis air guns, 60 Lewis ground guns, 80 Marlin air guns, 90 camera guns and 10 aerial cameras were in use daily. By the end of World War I, the young base had 1,028 enlisted men and 200 officers. It had trained 72 pilots and 700. mechanics, and 1,002 men had attended gunnery school. The 1918 Armistice with Germany ended World War I. The end of the war, however, produced some major changes. From a training field producing mechanics and gunners, Selfridge became a pursuit (fighter) field, but men who had enlisted for the duration of the war were being discharged, and no new students were being trained.


Inter-War period

Beginning 27 June 1919, Selfridge became the home of the 1st Pursuit Group, currently the oldest combat group in the Air Force. The group was organized in France during World War I and like many others, was demobilized after the war then re-created in 1919. It remained based at Selfridge for approximately 20 years. Many notable names are included in the group's roster including George Brett (general), George H. Brett, Jimmy Doolittle, James "Jimmy" Doolittle, Carl A. Spaatz, Curtis LeMay, Frank O'Driscoll Hunter, Frank O. Hunter, Emmett O'Donnell Jr., Emmett "Rosie" O'Donnell, Earle E. Partridge, Paul Wurtsmith and over 100 men who rose to the rank of Air Force general ("Home of Generals"). (Lieutenant LeMay was fined $50 for flying a biplane through Selfridge Hangar #6.) The uncertain future of Selfridge Field, however, caused the 1st Pursuit Group to be moved to Kelly Field, Texas, shortly after its return. On 28 August 1919, following an order from Washington, all but 40 men left for Texas airfields. Finally reduced to a staff of only 14 civilians, Selfridge Field for all practical purposes ceased to exist for government officials. Until 1921, the government leased Selfridge Field from Henry B. Joy. That year, Joy offered to sell the property for $190,000, a price government appraisers felt was too high. But when the National Aeronautics Advisory Committee pointed out the field's proximity to the mechanical and industrial centers of Detroit, the price was paid. The field sprang back to life on 1 July 1922, when the 1st Pursuit Group, which had gone from Kelly Field to Ellington Field outside Houston, Texas, in 1921, returned to make Selfridge its home for almost the next 20 years. In 1922, Selfridge was declared a permanent installation under command of Maj. Carl "Tooey" Spaatz, who later became Chief of Staff for the Air Force. Air races at Selfridge from 1922 through the 1930s included the first John Mitchell Trophy Race (named for John L. Mitchell and last held in 1936 at Selfridge), the National Air Races, Pulitzer Trophy Race, and the Curtiss Trophy Race and Boeing Trophy. Charles A. Lindbergh was assigned to Selfridge in 1927, returned in July 1927 (his transatlantic aircraft, Spirit of St. Louis, was escorted by 22 1st Pursuit Group planes) and returned again 10 November 1927, to become a member of the 1st Pursuit Group and complete his reserve training. In 1925, planes equipped with ice skids left Selfridge for Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Camp Skeel in Oscoda, Michigan to determine the usefulness of airplanes in harsh winter. Squadron commander Thomas Lamphier declared the test a success and proclaimed that similarly planes could be used to in Arctic regions. The U.S. Navy came to Selfridge in 1927 when Torpedo Squadron 31 (VT-31) was briefly assigned to the base. The squadron had only one aircraft, a Consolidated NY-1, which was used for training the squadron's Naval Air Reserve pilots. The squadron left before the end of the year, moving to a hangar in downtown Detroit. Naval Aviation would return to Selfridge in 1969 following the closing of Naval Air Station Grosse Ile and the establishment of Naval Air Facility Detroit. During the 1930s and 1940s, squadrons "from Selfridge [frequently] performed maneuvers over Detroit, [causing delight to] local citizens". In 1935, Selfridge became part of the top-level General Headquarters (GHO), Air Force, along with five other strategically located installations: Mitchel Field in New York, Langley Field in Virginia, Barksdale Field in Louisiana, March Field in California and Hamilton Air Force Base, Hamilton Field in California. A large expansion program was launched in 1939 to train four new pursuit groups at Selfridge for eventual assignment to other GHQ fields. Many of the temporary frame buildings still in use today were built at that time, when a $13.5 million construction program was started at Selfridge. The outbreak of war in Europe in 1939 again brought many changes to Selfridge Field. The 17th Pursuit Squadron, a member of the 1st Pursuit Group since June 1918, was reassigned to the Philippines. More Selfridge pilots left for the Pacific in a surprise move early in 1940, when 40 pilots and mechanics volunteered to serve with Gen. Claire Chennault and his Flying Tigers. They left for Rangoon early in the summer.


World War II

Selfridge was a Michigan World War II Army Airfields, World War II army airfield of the First Air Force and the location where Colonel Lawrence P. Hickey headed a cadre that organized the VIII Fighter Command, VIII Interceptor Command on 19 January 1942 (transferred to Charleston Air Force Base, Charleston AAF on 13 February, arrived RAF High Wycombe on 12 May). On 29 March 1943, the 332d Fighter Group of the Tuskegee Airmen completed its move to Selfridge. The commander of the Tuskegee's European and Mediterranean operations was Colonel Benjamin O. Davis Jr., the first black officer to graduate from West Point in the 20th century, and later the first black Air Force general. Scandal hit Selfridge on 5 May, 1943 when the commander Colonel William Colman was charged with shooting Private William MacRae, a black chauffeur who was assigned to drive him. Early reports stated that the incident occurred because Colman's regular driver was off-duty and a dispatcher was unaware of his standing order that he not have a black driver. Following the incident, accusations of several other improper occurrences at the base including misappropriation of government property, procurement of unlawful transfers and exchange of goods for transfers. Colman was found guilty of careless use of firearms after a court martial and demoted to captain. However, he was acquitted of 23 other charges that included authorizing illegal transfers, accepting bribes and theft of government property. The 477th Fighter Group#History, 477th Composite Group was formed at Selfridge on 15 January 1944 to train Tuskegee Airmen with Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighters and North American B-25 Mitchell bombers. Following a reprimand of the Selfridge AAF commander for segregating blacks, the Group relocated "without any prior warning or notification to its personnel) to Godman Field, Kentucky, on 5 May 1944.


United States Air Force

After World War II Selfridge expanded to its present size of , and in 1947 the Selfridge Field was renamed Selfridge Air Force Base. The base grew steadily and soundly, acquiring impressive buildings and long concrete strips. In 1950, Headquarters for the Tenth Air Force, which was in charge of all Air Reserve records for a 13-state area in the Midwest, moved to Selfridge. It recalled and trained Air Reservists, and as an administrative group, the Tenth was the largest of the tenant units at Selfridge. From 1947–1970 the base hosted three successive Cold War aircraft units: the 56th Fighter Wing (28 July 1947 – 1952), which conducted the first west-to-east jet fighter transatlantic crossing (US to Scotland via Greenland, 1948); the 4708th Defense (later Air Defense) Wing from 1952–1956; the 439th Fighter-Bomber Wing (1952–7); and the 1st Fighter Wing (Air Defense) from 1956–1970. The units' Selfridge aircraft were North American P-51 Mustang, F-51 Mustangs (439th, 1953-4), Lockheed P-80 Shooting Stars (439th 1953-6, 56th), F-84 Thunderstreaks (439th), North American F-86D Sabres (1st), and F-102 Delta Daggers (1st). In April 1954, the Selfridge's 13th Fighter-Intercepter Squadron of the 4708th Air Defense Wing won the Eastern Air Defense Force rocket gunnery championship; and on 10 May 1956, a Selfridge F-86D accidentally fired 22 Mk 4/Mk 40 Folding-Fin Aerial Rocket, Mighty Mouse rockets while on the ground. In November 1957, Air Defense Command (ADC) assumed control of Selfridge AFB. In the fall of 1959, the inactivation of Tenth Air Force began, and it was completed by July 1960. At that time, the 5th Air Force Reserve Region was established at Selfridge. Also added as a tenant in July was the 4045th Air Refueling Wing, Strategic Air Command (SAC). On May 8, 1964, disaster struck the area north of the base. A tornado cut a wide swath along the shores of Lake St. Clair, causing some damage to the base and bringing injury, death and destruction to the local area. The base was quick to render aid to its distressed neighbors, providing emergency medical care, sending vehicles to help clear away the debris and furnishing emergency shelters for those made homeless by the storm. In 1965, the Strategic Air Command announced that the 4045th Air Refueling Wing was to be discontinued beginning in 1966. In the continually changing pattern of uses of the Selfridge facility, plans were announced for the activation of the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station, Detroit, at Selfridge. A new Wing Commander, Col. Kenneth E. Rosebush, also arrived in August from Headquarters, Pacific Command. In July, 1966, the Coast Guard moved to Selfridge Air Force Base as a tenant. From 1950–1974, the Selfridge AFB radar station, including a Missile Master Army Air Defense Command Post after 1960, provided ground-controlled interception coverage for interceptor aircraft and surface-to-air missiles. Selfridge was the 1950 location of the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery (HHB) 28th Air Defense Artillery Group for the Army's Detroit Defense Area, part of Army Air Defense Command. Beginning in 1955, the base also had Project Nike radars for dual launch sites on Selfridge AFB at with battery D-14 in service until February 1963 and co-located battery D-16 continuing until June 1971. The "shared" Selfridge integrated fire control (IFC) area was at . The 3d Battalion, 517th Artillery manned the Nike facilities. On 29 October 1969, the Secretary of Defense announced Project 703, a program calling for a reduction of military forces as a result of budgetary cuts. As a result, the 1st Fighter Wing was inactivated on 31 December, and a 33-year chapter in the history of Selfridge came to an end. The 94th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron prepared to move to Wurtsmith Air Force Base near Oscoda, Michigan, and elements of the 1st Combat Support Group were re-designated the 4708th Air Base Group on 1 January 1970.


Michigan Air National Guard

The Michigan Air National Guard's 127th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing moved its entire operation from Detroit Metropolitan Airport near Romulus to Selfridge in December, 1970. The 127th became the largest flying unit on the base, and Air National Guard jets dominated the Selfridge skies. On 1 July 1971, Selfridge Air Force Base was transferred to the
Michigan Air National Guard The Michigan Air National Guard (MI ANG) is the aerial militia of the State of Michigan, United States of America. It is, along with the Michigan Army National Guard, an element of the Michigan National Guard. The Michigan Air National Guard is al ...
, becoming the first major active Air Force base to come under control of the
Air National Guard The Air National Guard (ANG), also known as the Air Guard, is a federal military reserve force of the United States Air Force, as well as the militia air force of each U.S. state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the ...
. At Selfridge Air National Guard Base, the
127th Wing The Michigan Air National Guard (MI ANG) is the aerial militia of the State of Michigan, United States of America. It is, along with the Michigan Army National Guard, an element of the Michigan National Guard. The Michigan Air National Guard is al ...

127th Wing
(127 WG) is the host wing to more than 30 tenant units representing every branch of the military – active duty (to include the Coast Guard), Reserve and National Guard. The U.S. Border Patrol and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Northern Air and Marine Wing are also based at Selfridge. Collectively, these organizations compose what is known "Team Selfridge," one community with synergistic goals and missions. The 127th Wing (127 WG) of the
Michigan Air National Guard The Michigan Air National Guard (MI ANG) is the aerial militia of the State of Michigan, United States of America. It is, along with the Michigan Army National Guard, an element of the Michigan National Guard. The Michigan Air National Guard is al ...
is a combined Air Combat Command (ACC) and Air Mobility Command (AMC) gained organization that was established at Selfridge ANG Base on 1 April 1996, by consolidating the former 127th Fighter Wing and the 191st Airlift Group. The flying units which previously flew the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the C-130 Hercules, converted their flying missions per 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) action. Today, the ACC-gained 107th Fighter Squadron flies the A-10 Thunderbolt II, A-10C Thunderbolt II, also known as the A-10 "Warthog." The AMC-gained 127th Airlift Group was renamed the 127th Air Refueling Group and its 171st Air Refueling Squadron now flies the KC-135 Stratotanker, KC-135T Stratotanker. The 127th Wing was also home to the Air National Guard's now defunct 107th Weather Flight, which is operationally gained by the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC). These United States Air Force Special Operations Weather Technician, specially trained Airmen collect weather data, develop forecasting products and direct forecasts to the warfighters on the ground, sometimes going ahead of a main operation to prepare soldiers with weather data for the success of the mission.


Air Force Reserve Command

Pursuant to Base Realignment and Closure, 2005, the Air Force Reserve Command's 927th Air Refueling Wing (927 ARW) that was previously based at Selfridge was directed to transfer its 4x KC-135, KC-135T Stratotanker aircraft to the Michigan Air National Guard and relocate to MacDill AFB, Florida in August 2007 as verified by Selfridge's Public Affairs Office. At MacDill, the 927 ARW has become an Air Force Reserve "Associate" wing to MacDill's 6th Air Mobility Wing, with both organizations flying the KC-135, KC-135R PACER CRAG variant of the Stratotanker.


Naval Air Facility Detroit

NAF Detroit was established as a tenant activity at Selfridge ANGB in 1969 following the disestablishment of Naval Air Station Grosse Ile, Michigan. NAF Detroit remained operational until 1994, when it was closed and realigned due to Base Realignment and Closure, BRAC action. An Echelon IV command of Naval Air Force Reserve, NAF Detroit hosted numerous U.S. Navy Reserve, Naval Reserve augmentation units supporting fleet commands and shore activities in the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets, as well as three operational Reserve Force Aviation Squadrons (RESFORONs): VFC-12, Fleet Composite Squadron Twelve (VC-12) flying the A-4 Skyhawk, A-4F Skyhawk II, VP-93, Patrol Squadron 93 (VP-93) flying the P-3 Orion, P-3B Orion, and VR-62, Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 62 (VR-62) flying the C-9 Skytrain II, C-9B Skytrain II. NAF Detroit also hosted Marine Wing Support Group 47 (MWSG-47) of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Air Reserve's 4th Marine Aircraft Wing. On 15 July 2012, MWSG-47 was deactivated from service. VC-12 was transferred to NAS Oceana, Virginia in 1975 and was redesignated as Fighter Composite Squadron 12 (VFC-12) in 1988, where it currently flies the F/A-18 Hornet as a Reserve adversary squadron. VP-93 was disestablished on 30 September 1994 due to (1) retirement of the P-3B from the U.S. Navy inventory and a transition to an all P-3C force, (2) a reduction in active and Reserve VP squadrons as part of post-Cold War drawdown, and (3) BRAC action directing the closure of NAF Detroit and its realignment as Naval Air Reserve Center Detroit (NAVAIRESCEN Detroit) with no operational flying units or activities. VR-62 was transferred in April 1994 to the former NAS South Weymouth, Massachusetts until that base's closure in September 1996 due to BRAC 1995 action. Concurrent with that move, the squadron also transitioned from the C-9B to the C-130 Hercules, C-130T Hercules. Transferring to the former NAS Brunswick, Maine, subsequent BRAC action in 2008 direct NAS Brunswick's closure in May 2011, resulting in VR-62 being transferred again in 2010 to its current home station of NAS Jacksonville, Florida. NAF Detroit became NAVAIRESCEN Detroit on 1 October 1994 and remained as a tenant command at Selfridge ANGB. It was renamed Navy Operational Support Center Detroit (NOSC Detroit) in 2006 and downgraded to an Echelon V command.


Coast Guard Air Station Detroit

CGAS Detroit was established in 1966 as a tenant command at Selfridge ANGB, operating the HH-52, HH-52A Sea Guard helicopter in the Great Lakes region. Air Station Detroit transitioned to the HH-65 Dolphin, HH-65A Dolphin in 1988 and continues to operate the HH-65 Dolphin, MH-65D version of this aircraft in search and rescue, maritime safety, and other homeland security/homeland defense missions.


Other uses

Other activities located at Selfridge include STARBASE, an Air National Guard initiative that engages in activity-based science and math lessons. The program uses an aviation theme to allow local children to excel, regardless of their economic situation. STARBASE traces its roots to the Air National Guard's 127th Wing at Selfridge ANGB in 1991 and the Department of Defense became an official supporter of the STARBASE program in 1993. The United States Border Patrol Detroit Sector headquarters is located at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. Detroit Sector area of responsibility includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. In March 2011, the United States Customs and Border Protection "formally opened its new Operational Integration Center on Selfridge".


Mitchell Air Races

The first "air show" at Selfridge was the 1922 Mitchell Air Races. During that event, both official and unofficial air speed records were set. Prior to the races officially starting – the pilots flew a measured course over Lake St. Clair and back to the base – Army Lt. Russell L. Maughan flew a Curtiss R-6 aircraft 248.5 miles per hours, more than 25 mph more than the fastest speed ever recorded to that point. However, Maughan’s flight was not considered official because the race judges were not yet in place. Four days later, on Oct. 18, Army Brig. Gen. Billy Mitchell flew the same aircraft at 224.05 miles per hour, officially setting the new air speed record. Maughan’s day was not in vain, however, as he would later go on to set new air speed records several times throughout the 1920s. Mitchell Air Races were also held at Selfridge in 1927 and for the last time in 1936.


Selfridge International Open House and Air Show

The base typically hosts an open house and air show every 2–3 years in the summer months. The last edition of the Selfridge International Open House and Air Show was in 2017. The 2020 edition has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, COVID-19 pandemic.


See also

* Selfridge AFB radar station * Michigan World War II Army Airfields * United States Army World War I Flight Training


References


Further reading

* Larsen, Deborah J., and Louis J. Nigro. ''Selfridge Field.'' Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2006. * ''Selfridge Field Air Fighters.'' Detroit: Liggett & Gagnier, printers, 1919. * Thornton, Kevin, and Dale Prentiss. ''Building a Base: Selfridge and the Army.'' Warren, Mich: History Office, U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command, 1996.


External links


''The Founding of Selfridge Field''
from Mount Clemens Public Library * Civil Air Patrol
-> {{Authority control Installations of the United States Air Force in Michigan Airports in Michigan Buildings and structures in Macomb County, Michigan Installations of the United States Air National Guard Strategic Air Command military installations Initial United States Air Force installations Airfields of the United States Army Air Forces in Michigan Civil Air Patrol Metro Detroit 1917 establishments in Michigan Military installations established in 1917