The Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, at 319–337 East 74th Street
on the Upper East Side
in New York City, New York, is a Neo-Byzantine
-style Greek Orthodox
It serves as the national cathedral of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
, and as the episcopal seat of Archbishop Elpidophoros of America
Established in 1891, and at its present location since 1932, it was the second Greek Orthodox church in the Americas, the first in New York City, and the largest Eastern Orthodox
church in the Western Hemisphere
is the home parish
for 800 families, and hosts dignitaries and visitors.
It offers regular worship (which is broadcast on television), Sunday school
, afternoon school, the Cathedral School (grades N-8), Bible study, and various ministries and fellowship organizations.
In 1891 the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox parish's first home was in part of an Evangelical church
on West 53rd Street
for $50 per-month ($ in current dollar terms).
It was the second Greek Orthodox church in the Americas and the first in New York City.
In 1904 it was purchased and moved to a Gothic Episcopal
church at 153 East 72nd Street
. In 1927, the East 72nd Street church burned down, and two years later land was purchased and a new church was built for $577,000 ($ in current dollar terms) in Byzantine
style. Eleanor Roosevelt
laid the cornerstone of the cathedral on September 14, 1931. Holy Trinity moved to its current location on March 4, 1932. Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople
, later Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople
d the cathedral on October 22, 1933. He called it: "The Cathedral of all of Hellenism in America".
In 1949, it established the Cathedral School. It was designated the archdiocesan cathedral in 1962.
On September 18, 1999, Archbishop Demetrios
was enthroned at the cathedral as primate
of the Greek Orthodox Church in America.
The cathedral's dean, the Rev. Robert Stephanopoulos, had been demoted and relieved of responsibilities at the cathedral in January 1999 by Archbishop Spyridon of America
, but by late 1999 had regained his position.
Stephanopoulos retired in 2007, after being dean for 25 years, and Frank Marangos was named the new dean. Since June 2012, the dean has been Fr. Anastasios Gounaris.
Opera singer Maria Callas
was baptised at the church in 1926, in 2001 television journalist and former political advisor George Stephanopoulos
and comedian Alexandra Wentworth
were married there, and in 2011 Christopher Nixon Cox
, grandson of President Richard Nixon
, and heiress Andrea Catsimatidis, daughter of Gristedes
billionaire John Catsimatidis
, were married there.
The exterior is Romanesque Revival red brick
The cathedral's architects were Kerr Rainsford, John A. Thompson, and Gerald A. Holmes; they later designed Hunter College Uptown, which is now known as Lehman College
The interior has Byzantine mosaic
marble for the walls, columns, and altar, and imported Italian stained glass
on the dome was created by Georgios Gliatas, a student of iconographer Fotis Kontoglou
The church sits down the block from the Bohemian Gothic Revival Jan Hus Presbyterian Church
External linksCathedral websitegoarch.org
Category:Churches in Manhattan
Category:Upper East Side
Category:Cathedrals in New York City
Category:Greek Orthodox churches in New York City
Category:Greek Orthodox cathedrals in the United States
Category:Churches completed in 1932
Category:Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Category:Religious organizations established in 1891
Category:1891 establishments in New York (state)
Category:Church buildings with domes